-
                    
  Home Fire Safety
    94% of U.S homes have smoke Alarms but up to
    1/3 of the alarms are not working properly 

    80% of all fires happen at Home and most fire
    injuries and deaths occur between 8pm-8am



    • Place smoke alarms next to bedrooms, replace batteries once a year. If a smoke alarm activates with no presence of smoke, check battery or clear the opening where the smoke enters for any possible build up of spider webs, insects or dust. A pressurized can of air spray works best. Never place a smoke alarm in the kitchen or just outside a bathroom, the steam from the hot water can actually set off the smoke alarm.

    • Practice exit drills in the home ( E.D.I.T.H) and have a meeting place in front and away from your home. You only have about two minutes to get out !!!!!                                  
    • Call 911 only after all have safely evacuated. Give the exact Street location.

    • Preferably sleep with doors closed. In the event of a fire - touch the door and handle feeling for the heat of a fire, if hot proceed to exit through a window.

    • If the location of your bedroom is on a second floor or higher Remain Calm, keep the door closed, seal the bottom of the door with clothes or blankets. Open the window, turn the light on and attempt to get someone's attention. Call 911 giving the operator your exact location and wait for firefighters to arrive. Encapsulate yourself in the safety of your room. The average response time in Austin is 4-8 minutes. Once the Fire Department arrives you are their Number One priority.

    • When evacuating an area with smoke: Stay Low and GO ! Because-
              You can Breathe better, You can See better and it's not as Hot . For every
             one foot elevation in a fire, easily raises the temperature approximately
            100 degrees !!! A typical house fire can easily exceed temperatures of
            1100 degrees. Smoke inhalation is the number one killer in a fire !!!

    • If your clothes catch on fire - 
    • Stop, Drop and Roll, while covering your face.

     Major causes of Home fires:

    1. Unattended Cooking - unattended / grease fires - NEVER use water to extinguish a grease fire, instead1. use a lid to smother it, do not lift the lid too soon
    and never move a burning pan  2. apply baking soda  3. use a fire extinguisher.
     
    2. Heating Equipment - Keep all combustibles at least 3 feet away from a heat source. Never use gasoline powered equipment inside to heat a home. Never plug in a space heater into a power strip or an extension cord ( It can overload and cause a fire ). Space heaters should be plugged directly into the wall electrical socket.

    3. Smoking - Properly discard all smoking materials, use designated areas for smoking. Smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths in the U.S.

    4. Electrical Equipment - Do not overload electrical outlets, use power strips, surge protectors, limit the use of TEMPORARY extension cords. Safely attempt to unplug any electric equipment that is on fire. Never plug in a power strip into a second power strip.

    5. Candles - Never leave candles unattended, keep away from all combustibles such as curtains, paper, wood, including small children and pets.
     
    6.  Children playing with fire       
    7.  Clothes dryers  
    8.  Holiday decorations
    9.  Flammable liquids 
    10. Fireplaces and barbecue grills
                                

    Fire Extinguishers 
    Using one is as easy as ABC
    _________________________________________________________________________________________ 
     Know when to " fight or get out of sight "

    - Do not attempt to extinguish a fire larger                                     than an average desk in size.
    - Typical 2.5 lb - 5 lb. ABC fire extinguisher has an approximate
      discharge time of only 15-25 seconds before it is empty.
    - Replace plastic neck fire extinguishers and smoke 
      alarms every 10 years. ( Date of manufacture are listed ).
    - Metal neck fire extinguishers can be recharged                   
    - Fire extinguishers with plastic necks cannot be recharged
      once you use them - lose them! One time use only.
    - Assure that the powder in the fire extinguisher does not settle
      to the bottom by stirring it every 3 months or so.

                        
    To use, simply - First - Secure the Scene
    Keep 8-10 ft away from the fire
     
    Classes of Fires 
      P ULL the pin
      A IM it at the base of the fire 
      S QUEEZE the Handle 
      S WEEP from side to side moving in
    A - Paper,wood,rubber
    BGasoline, oils, grease
    C - Electrical equipment